Wednesday 14 October 2009

A Stitch in Time

Just to give you a bit of background, DH and I love garlic. We've even converted the kids...that is if you count putting garlic in everything so the kids just get used to the taste as conversion. So when a co-worker of DH recommended going to the Perth Garlic Festival this past summer, we packed up the kids and made a day of it.


Before arriving at the fairgrounds, I noticed signs for a quilt show. Yeah....two events for the price of one trip. The quilt show was a bonus as I had no idea that it was going on at the same time. After getting four kinds of garlic to plant this fall and seeing all there was to see at the garlic fest we headed to the Lanark County Quilt Guild show, being held at the local high school.

I can't begin to tell you how gorgeous the quilts were. They were true pieces of art. Even DH, who is an artist in his own right, was impressed. He used to think that my quilting was a useful and creative hobby but after seeing the first few quilts, at the show, he now has a different opinion.
Here is a picture of my favorite quilt.

I liked the next quilt and thought that it was the most original.
How about a closer look.....


It was made with the salvage edges from fabric. It is a work of true genius.....using what would normally be thrown away and creating a piece of usable art from it. I could easily gush over this quilt because I thought it was so amazing visually and the idea behind it is just plain brilliant.

I knew that I was going to be impressed with the show overall because of what was parked at the entrance of the school. I just had to show the sock.
The sock was feeling overwhelmed and very self conscious. I will admit I had to stretch the truth a bit when I told the sock that it was just as good and impressive as a quilted car cozy. What else could I do? I didn't want the rest of the day ruined by a sock sobbing because of feelings of inadequacy. Let's face it, no one wants to wear a depressed sock.

I probably didn't help the situation by rushing to my sewing machine the minute I got home instead of continuing to knit.

Until next time
Yours in Yarn,
The Fibreholic

6 comments:

Taphophile said...

you did have a good day. J'adore the selvedge quilt. Like the Australian woman (name and blog escapes me) who did the 50s style selvedge dress. Gorgeous. Sock should keep it's ego intact. It's as brilliant as the car cozy (and a little more practical) - just on a smaller scale.

Bells said...

see that's how I'd approach it too - just put garlic in everything until the little mites had no sense that food shouldn't have garlic in it!

Susan said...

So sorry I missed that quilt show! That car was reason enough to go. Maybe next year...

Denise said...

Oh I love the selvedge quilt, but the quilted art car cosy is just BRILLIANT! I used to have an Art Car (all painted, and decorated inside as well) ... makes me want to start a new one :)

Denise said...

Oh I love the selvedge quilt, but the quilted art car cosy is just BRILLIANT! I used to have an Art Car (all painted, and decorated inside as well) ... makes me want to start a new one :)

Denise said...

Oh I love the selvedge quilt, but the quilted art car cosy is just BRILLIANT! I used to have an Art Car (all painted, and decorated inside as well) ... makes me want to start a new one :)