Monday 11 February 2008

Why I had Kids

Every year, corporate sponsors, shell out big bucks to support Winterlude. And I, for one, am glad that they do.

To celebrate all this snowy goodness we get her in the Ottawa area, the National Capital Commission puts on Winterlude. You can skate on the Rideau canal (the world's longest skating rink), watch a free concert, see the results of the in
ternational ice carving competition, enjoy some fine dining at a local restaurant (with special Winterlude deals, but what my kids like best is Snowflake Kingdom.

Giant slides are constructed out of snow and are then hosed down to make them super fast. We had a blast! Even DH handled the crowds and line ups quite well. We had a blast! Words can not describe how much fun we had...so on to the pictures.

In addition to the slides, there were shows. The teen is in love with 4 of the seven guys in this hip hop dance troup.



This is me, going down the tube slide with DS. I don't know who enjoyed it more.


This is just one of the snow sculptures displayed as part of the National competition.



To celebrate the 400th anniversary of the Quebec winter carnival, there was a recreation of how settlers lived 400 years ago. BTW they didn't live in a fort made of snow. (Despite the abundance of this type of building material at this time of year.)




So when my kids get too old to enjoy something like this, I'll have to rent some kids. Because an old fart going down the slides, laughing all the way, without any kids, will really stand out.

P.S. Almost forgot to mention....95% of Winterlude is Free.:) Gotta like that!!!

Until next time
Yours in Yarn,
The Fibreholic

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow, that just looks like a ton of fun! I saw it on the news here as well! You go! I would surely wipe out if I was tubing as you did! :)

Nancy said...

Hey, don't worry, when your kids are too big, just go and if anyone asks, say your kids are at another area or event. Keep having fun.

Lisa said...

In all the years I've been here - I have yet to make it to that part of Winterlude - you almost have me convinced! If it wasn't seventeen below hellishly cold today I'd be even more motivated!

TinkingBell said...

How cool!! I envy you having a 'proper' winter - ours is usuallu just soggy and chilly! (With occaional gusty bits!)

MadMad said...

Way back in the day, Man and I used to pretend we had kids so we could do things like rent Little Mermaid. We'd go into the store and talk loudly about how "little Suzie" would like that, but "Bobby" wanted the other.... ah well. Best not to dwell. I loved my pretend children. They were so well behaved.